VSFX 319 Renderman Portfolio
My kettle was inspired by these modern teapots designed to resemble unicorns. The designs are simple but appealing, consisting of a few pieces that could be replicated with quadric surfaces.
I found this exercise quite challenging and a little time-consuming, but I learned an incredible amount in a short period of time. While transforming items in the scene felt intuitive, I was not used to adjusting values through code, nor was I used to working with quadrics instead of polygonal objects. In my process video, around 0:11 seconds, I made some attempt to create a handle for my teapot -- I eventually decided it would be easier to use the handle as my single Maya-modeled asset in my project.
Main RIB File
I had some issues applying my textures to my quadric surfaces. I used a UV grid to help me adjust the manifold. In creating the textures with txmake, I wanted to use "clamp" mode instead of "periodic" to extend the sides of the texture map instead of repeating the map, but the map appeared to get cut in half. Though I tried to find some other workarounds, I ended up extending the amount of white area around the face/mouth in the texture maps with GIMP so that the repetition is not as apparent.
However, in the big teapot, the eyes are unfortunately on the back of the teapot as well as the front. If I had more time, I would find out why clamping the tx wasn't working and how to solve it, so that I can render a turntable without seeing the face on the back of the teapot.
If I had more time with this project, I would try to make a couple of the following changes:
I have a significantly better understanding of how rendering works and what actually goes on "under the hood" of Renderman. This was my first real experience with programming, and I was pleasantly surprised by how intuitive .rib Pixar's 3D scene description language is.