ImportError: No module named ctypes

Postby dhernand on Jan 30th, '12, 08:27

Name:Sean M Dooley IP:10.7.223.2 Email:sdoole20@student.scad.edu Room:223 Machine:mt-r223.1, mt-r223.2, mt-r223.13, mt-r223.14 Platform:renderman Application:Linux (Red Hat) Error:__________ [1] 7.0:10PM __________
Traceback (most recent call last):
File \"/home/sdoole20/mount/stuhome/tech312/python/prman_python_1.py\", line 2, in ?
import prman
File \"/opt/pixar/RenderManProServer-16.3/bin/prman.py\", line 36, in ?
class __private: # simple means to keep locals private
File \"/opt/pixar/RenderManProServer-16.3/bin/prman.py\", line 40, in __private
import ctypes

Problem:I continue to get this error regardless of the machine that I am logged into. The first machine number I tried in Windows, the other three were all attempts in Linux. Every machine, every attempt, created this error (Window\'s provided a similar, but used slightly different termonology).

Malcolm looked over my code and it shouldn\'t be causing this error at all because neither he nor I can find what\'s causing this error. The error seems to be in the import of prman, but prman is in my Python path.
Dan Hernandez
Systems Support
Montgomery Hall
Savannah College of Art & Design
dhernand@scad.edu
dhernand

Re: ImportError: No module named ctypes

Postby dhernand on Jan 30th, '12, 08:28

I tested both Python and RenderMan in cutter, both are working fine. I think the problem is in his script, but i'm not sure.
Ali Jafargholi on 01.26.2012

the problem is that this code I belive is not supporting learlier version of python. Since we have the last version of renderman the prman module is running on python 2.7, By defaoult you are starting python2.4 when you type python. So just start python2.7 from the terminal and it imports the module without a problem. :) resolved
Zahari R Dichev on 01.27.2012
Dan Hernandez
Systems Support
Montgomery Hall
Savannah College of Art & Design
dhernand@scad.edu
dhernand

Re: ImportError: No module named ctypes

Postby mgonul20 on Jan 30th, '12, 10:16

ctypes module is not included in some python distros. you can either A- compile it yourself or B- find a compatible ctypes module from an other distro (which is a pain) and import it. or use a different version of python as zahari suggested.

whichever developer who decided to omit the only module that makes python barely usable in an advanced environment is a genius!
MuratG
mgonul20

Return to VSFX Applications