I was trying to figure out how to use the renderfarm

Frequently asked questions regarding the render farm.

I was trying to figure out how to use the renderfarm

Postby dhernand on May 23rd, '11, 08:59

Hi,

I was trying to figure out how to use the renderfarm, by reading the(old) PDF instructions on the SFDM site.

What I understand after trying a couple of times is that I am probably missing a personal folder where I should put my projects. Am I correct?

Cheers
Dan Hernandez
Systems Support
Montgomery Hall
Savannah College of Art & Design
dhernand@scad.edu
dhernand

Re: I was trying to figure out how to use the renderfarm

Postby dhernand on May 23rd, '11, 09:00

Hi Gabriele,
The folder is created automatically when you first navigate to the render server. It's mount point is different in all platforms.
In Windows, the link is located on your desktop in the Render Farm folder. You can also access it by typing "//render" to any folders address bar.
In Linux, it is located in your home folder as well as your desktop. Open up Network Resources and you will see a renderfarm folder. You can also Navigate to /home/gbarto20/mount/renderfarm to access it as well.

Once you reach the renderfarm, you will see a single folder with your username. Copy your Maya or Houdini project folder in your user folder in the farm, and it will be ready for submission to the grid.

Couple of things to keep in mind before you click submit are:
To make sure your project uses relative paths rather than absolute paths,
Not uploading unnecessary texture and cache files for the specific render pass you will be submitting,
Baking simulations, etc...

You have a 2.0 GB limit for your entire user folder on the farm, and there is a 2 hour per frame limit. Manually deleting wrong render jobs is possible but it is always a good practice to submit 10 frame test renders with small project folders before submitting the entire project. Multiple submissions of large project folders will put a strain on the network and other resources since everything in the project folder will be transfered to every render node on the network.

Please let us know if you need any assistance with the farm. You can submit a problem report, reply to this email or just simply drop by the Systems office next to the cage.
Murat Gonul on 05.20.2011
Dan Hernandez
Systems Support
Montgomery Hall
Savannah College of Art & Design
dhernand@scad.edu
dhernand

Return to FAQs