Shader Error

Issues specific to RenderMan and the render farm.

Shader Error

Postby dhernand on Jan 20th, '09, 09:58

I compiled a volume shader using the shader command. I then tried to bring that shader into Maya 2008 and it gave me the above error. I've tried several different shaders and they all give the same error. Perhaps there is a problem with the correct version of the shader command that is compiling the shaders.

Incidentally, I tried recreating the problem in Maya 2009, but Renderman for Maya won't even load. I've attached that error message as well.

Maya 2008:
// Error: (01/17 13:12) rman Error: Problem reading shader /project/VSFX/sub/light_shaders/fog.slo: (exec "/opt/pixar/RenderMan_Studio/plug-ins/../bin/toslim" "/project/VSFX/sub/light_shaders/fog.slo") //
// Error: (01/17 13:12) rman Error: Can't find shader definition /project/VSFX/sub/light_shaders/fog.slo for RenderManVolume1 //
// Error: (01/17 13:12) rman Error: Problem reading shader /project/VSFX/sub/light_shaders/fog.slo: (exec "/opt/pixar/RenderMan_Studio/plug-ins/../bin/toslim" "/project/VSFX/sub/light_shaders/fog.slo") //
// Warning: rman Warning: This shader node appears to be from an older version of RenderMan for Maya. Reloading is recommended for the node to display correctly in the Attribute Editor. //

Maya 2009:
// Error: Unable to dynamically load : /opt/pixar/RenderMan_Studio/plug-ins/RenderMan_for_Maya.so
/opt/pixar/RenderMan_Studio/plug-ins/RenderMan_for_Maya.so: undefined symbol: _ZN7MGlobal17getAssociatedSetsER14MSelectionListR12MObjectArray //
// Error: /opt/pixar/RenderMan_Studio/plug-ins/RenderMan_for_Maya.so: undefined symbol: _ZN7MGlobal17getAssociatedSetsER14MSelectionListR12MObjectArray //
// Error: /opt/pixar/RenderMan_Studio/plug-ins/RenderMan_for_Maya.so: undefined symbol: _ZN7MGlobal17getAssociatedSetsER14MSelectionListR12MObjectArray (RenderMan_for_Maya) //
Dan Hernandez
Systems Support
Montgomery Hall
Savannah College of Art & Design
dhernand@scad.edu
dhernand

Re: Shader Error

Postby dhernand on Jan 20th, '09, 10:00

Per Dave Hale:
First off, there isn't currently a RenderMan for Maya that works with 2009, that issue is being addressed with the next planned release. For now RfM is Maya 2008 only (which is one of the primary reasons we still have to support it on the farm).

As far as your shader error, this looks like you need the "-back -autoplug" flag on your compiler, this is very easy to do in cutter or manually (I forget the name of the field, but it's relatively intuitive, on your RSL compiler settings in the RenderMan Tool). Because RenderMan for Maya runs an older version of RenderMan Pro Server internally; which consequently requires backwards compatible shaders.

For this shader to work on the farm you will probably also have to edit your SLIM template to make the paths to the actual shader relative (as it's referencing all your stuff absolute from the time of compiling).

Hope this helps!
Dan Hernandez
Systems Support
Montgomery Hall
Savannah College of Art & Design
dhernand@scad.edu
dhernand

Return to RenderMan