Editor Freezes During Level Build:

Problems related to the Editor.

Editor Freezes During Level Build:

Postby bsoder20 on Oct 23rd, '08, 11:48

Problem:

Unreal Editor freezes on xw6600's and the z600's when users try to build a Subtractive map with lights.

Breakdown:

● The said problem only occurs when users build the lighting for a Subtractive map.
● The problem only occurs when there is at least one light in the scene.
● The problem does not occur with Additive maps.
● Additive maps can successfully be created and built with as many lights as needed.
● If the World Brush (the external bounding box) of a Subtractive map is scaled way down, the problem will not occur.
● The problem seems to be directly related to when the machine bakes the lighting for Subtractive levels.
● The 8400’s do not have this problem with Subtractive maps.
● The problem is most likely hardware related.

Troubleshooting (things I’ve tried):

1. Hardware troubleshooting
a. Swapped out the video card from an 8400 and placed it in a 6600.
b. Took out all except 2 gigs of RAM from a 6600.
c. Swapped out the RAM from an 8400 and placed it in a 6600.

2. Software troubleshooting
a. Uninstalled and reinstalled Unreal on a 6600 and tested the Editor with various versions of the patch.
b. Removed the Quadro performance drivers from a 6600.
c. Limited CPU use to only 1 core.
d. Ran the Editor as Administrator.
e. Deleted the Unreal Editor config files.
Last edited by bsoder20 on Sep 29th, '09, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
bsoder20

Re: Editor Freezes During Level Build:

Postby bsoder20 on Oct 23rd, '08, 12:06

Since there has been no conclusive solution to this problem as of yet, I recommend users work with Additive maps for the time-being, as it has no problems. If you are trying to make and interior level and are more comfortable with the Subtractive method, simply create an Additive map and set the brush size larger than you want your level to be, add the brush and now you've got a large space you can subtract from.
bsoder20

Postby wschil20 on Aug 27th, '09, 04:05

It is recommended for Unreal Engine 3 that you create Additive maps.
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UsingBspBrushes.html
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CreatingLevels.html
Subtractive Maps are the default for older versions of Unreal Engine, and thus, many tutorials, but Additive Maps are now the preferred way to go.

If you have a Subtractive Map already made and it is experiencing this freezing, try following Ben's idea but set the large subtractive brush to be the First in Order (Right Click on Brush --> Order -->First).
http://www.williamgs.com/
Montgomery Hall Systems Office
School of Film and Digital Media
wschil20

Postby dstjar20 on Sep 18th, '09, 14:38

I've just run into this problem today in room 209. I built a small subtractive level, put in some point lights, and it froze when it tried to build static light. However, I might have found an unusual way around that just now. (Besides Additive not having this problem).

I tried creating a subtractive room, and building it with a spotlight only to begin with. This not only was built, but when I added a point light AFTER the spotlight...this also built successfully and ran. This doesn't fix the bug of course, I'm sure. On the other hand, I have an assignment that specifically tells me I must make a Subtractive level with Point Lights included. So hopefully this odd approach will hold up under greater complexity.

Anyway, maybe now that (at least on a simple scale) one can get around the Static Light Freeze, will help someone figure out how to destroy the bug entirely.
dstjar20

Postby dstjar20 on Sep 18th, '09, 14:55

Hmm...well, making the level more complicated apparently goes back to freezing it. So, I guess I'll have to email my professor and ask if I can do an additive level.
dstjar20

Postby bsoder20 on Sep 19th, '09, 17:19

Hello Derek,

It is recommended to use additive maps in Unreal, but if your professor is requiring you to make a Subtractive map, there is another method that usually works. To enable the machines at Montgomery hall to compile a remotely complex Subtractive map, you will have to scale down the world brush. To do this, see the following instructions.

1. Make a new Subtractive scene (or use your current scene)

2. Zoom all the way out (until you can see the edge of the grid.

3. You should see a blue box, this is the World Brush. The world brush is basically like a giant additive brush that you are subtracting from. The reason additive is preferred over subtractive is because additive does not have to calculate such a giant texture space for the world brush and therefore it is much more efficient.

4. Select the world brush and scale it down so that it just barely extends beyond your current scene.

5. You should be able to compile your scene now without any problems.

Good luck!
bsoder20

Return to Unreal Editor